Cervical Facet Joints
The facet joints, along with the disc themselves, are where movement occurs between the vertebrae. The movement normally consists of a smooth glide of one facet over another, however with muscle spasm, sustained poor posture and degeneration this can change resulting in pain.
Generally a facet pain will be one-sided and reproducible on repetition of specific movements.
- Heat can relax the muscles allowing more ease of movement
- You can try to take your neck repetitively JUST into the pain and see if this eases the pain or allows increased range of movement in the neck.
- Mobilise the joints to minimise the restriction
- Teach you some home exercises to maintain the improved range
- Ensure longer-term postural changes which may cause the pain are identified and suggestions given to resolve these.